Have you ever wondered: How many years does a rabbit live? How can I improve the life expectancy of a domestic rabbit? These peculiar and charming animals are one of the domestic species preferred by people.
Although they seem to be very independent animals, the truth is that they are shy and sensitive to human closeness. Through this reading we will clarify what the average lifespan of a rabbit is and some characteristics of this friendly animal.
Average life span of a rabbit
The average lifespan of rabbits will largely depend on the species, since there is a wide variety of them. A common rabbit can live 3-4 years. This is because being free has greater risks of facing diseases, predators or inclement weather. That is why it is difficult to find rabbits in the wild that exceed this age.
How many years do domestic rabbits live?
Domestic rabbits can live up to 8 years, but depending on the care they take, they can extend their life expectancy up to 10-12 years. This will depend on the type of diet, veterinary check-ups, exercise, hygiene and if it is happy in its environment.
Another very important factor in the development and quality of life of rabbits is the treatment they receive from humans since they are small. These animals need affection, care and affection to feel safe and happy.
The best thing is to treat them with love, without yelling, because they don’t understand if they are doing something wrong; otherwise, they will feel more nervous.
Rabbit species and life expectancy
To know how many years a rabbit lives we must take into account the species to which it belongs:
- Polish rabbit : life expectancy between 5-7 years.
- American rabbit : around 10 years old.
- Dwarf rabbit : they can live up to 8 years.
- New Zealand Rabbit : 5-7 years.
- Lion Head Rabbit : live 7-10 years.
- Rex Rabbit : live between 8 and 11 years.
- European rabbit : 7 to 10 years.
- Holandes rabbit : up to 10 years old.
Reproduction of rabbits
Females can begin to reproduce as early as 4 months of age. Gestation lasts 32 days and their litters are between 4 and 12 young. Also, a female can reproduce several times a year.
Tips to extend the life expectancy of a rabbit
Having a pet rabbit is not as easy as it sounds. If you are wondering how long a rabbit lives and you are concerned about the life expectancy of yours, we recommend that you follow a series of recommendations so that it lives better and for longer:
- Food: Providing them with an adequate diet is key to extending the years of life of these animals. Rabbits are herbivores, that is, they should only eat plant-based foods such as hay, straw, leaves, carrots, beets, chard, artichokes, celery, etc. Likewise, offering rabbits foods rich in fiber is ideal to avoid diarrhea, dental disease, obesity and other disorders in the digestive system.
- Physical Activity: Rabbits need to exercise every day, which is easy because they like to jump, run, and play. It is recommended to make a small obstacle course for the rabbit to have fun while doing exercises. In addition, if they live in a house with a garden, it is advisable to set up a space for the rabbit. This should have a little shade and be fenced so that the animal can run freely but safely. If you do not have an open space in your home, you can integrate a space in the living room or in a room where the rabbit can play and move more comfortably.
- Avoid sudden changes in temperature : If you are concerned about how many years a rabbit lives, you should know that sudden changes in temperature can be very harmful to its health: protect it from high temperatures and drafts. When the seasons change, in general, rabbits shed their fur, a process that allows these animals to adapt to new climatic conditions. It is recommended to brush rabbit periodically to help you remove hair that you are moving. This should be done at least three times a day during this stage. During this period of hair change it is important to stay alert if you notice any bald spots on the rabbit’s fur. If its skin looks pink and fluffy, there is no need to worry, but if on the contrary the animal scratches in the area where there is a lack of hair and irritated skin is observed, it is best to take it to the vet.
- Hygiene: In case you didn’t know, hygiene also greatly influences how many years a rabbit lives. It is a very important aspect in the care of these animals and that should never be neglected. The cleanliness of your house or cage has a direct influence on your quality of life. If you do not maintain constant hygiene, the appearance of bugs, diseases, parasites and the decay of the rabbit’s mood is possible.
- Vaccines: In general, it is recommended that the rabbit does not leave the house. However, if you live in a state of half freedom and have contact with nature, it is necessary to maintain a vaccination schedule to avoid the development of serious diseases, which can influence the years that a rabbit lives.
- Company: If your rabbit has companions at home, such as dogs or cats, it is an excellent idea that they can relate. The most important thing is that you get along, as this will help you stay active and happy when you are not at home.
- Play : This makes them in high spirits but you must be careful when playing with them. Play games with the animal that do not involve a great effort for them. Create emotional bonds with your rabbit and have fun with this loving animal.