If you think your dog or cat is in pain, you may be trying to give them an aspirin with the best of intentions. But the problem is that this gesture is tremendously dangerous for your four-legged friend. No matter how tempted you are to give your dog aspirin, or whatever anti-inflammatory or pain reliever you keep in your medicine cabinet. Medicating your pet on your own is something that you should avoid by all means, since it is not only toxic, but in certain cases it can even be fatal to your furry companion. Here are the problems that a dog or cat may encounter after taking human medicine without veterinary control.
Aspirin and ibuprofen are toxic to cats and dogs, as they can cause gastrointestinal problems, bleeding, and severely damage your kidneys.
Poisoning by human anti-inflammatory drugs is one of the ten most common causes of poisoning in dogs and cats, according to the registry of the Center against Poison in Animals . Among the most common poisons in human pet kits are ibuprofen, aspirin, or naproxen . And is that if the dog or feline ingests them, either by accident or because you give them without veterinary control, “they can be extremely toxic, “. And the danger occurs both in prolonged intakes, as in a single intake, which can be fatal.
The problem is that “it is relatively common for an owner to be tempted to give their pet drugs for people in order to avoid visiting the vet” . The reasoning is as follows: “If I, when I have a fever, I take this medicine, when the dog or cat has a fever, I will offer it.” And this logic, however, is very risky.
Dogs and cats do not have the same metabolism as we do, nor are they capable of managing substances in the same way: what for humans can be harmless (or almost), for these animals it can be very dangerous. The toxicity of ibuprofen and aspirin, if not treated early, can cause serious gastrointestinal problems in four – legged friend or severely damage your kidneys.
Why are aspirin, and other drugs, dangerous for dogs and cats?
Anti-inflammatories and pain medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen, even in their children’s versions for children, work as an inhibitor of the enzyme cyclooxygenase . In this way, they stop the inflammation of the affected area, reduce fever and even reduce pain. The problem is that this enzyme takes care of other essential functions in the body, such as maintaining adequate blood flow in the kidneys. It also participates in the production of the mucous layer that protects the interior of the digestive system and in other important functions such as blood clotting.
As dogs and cats are not capable of eliminating human anti-inflammatory substances at the same rate, or with the same efficiency, as we are, these compounds remain in their body. The consequence is that they cause vomiting, diarrhea, intestinal problems, loss of appetite, blood problems (bleeding) as well as severe damage to your pet’s liver and kidneys.
All of these symptoms explain why you should never give any human medication to your canine or feline without having been diagnosed, and supervised, by your veterinarian. “Self-medicating dogs and cats is very dangerous; only veterinarians are qualified and trained professionals to prescribe antibiotics for your pet,”.
We’re gorging cats and dogs on drugs
Despite the dangers of medicating their pet on their own, one in three owners of these animals does not consult the veterinarian about which drugs and in what doses they can offer them.
Antibiotics for pets are essential to combat bacterial diseases in your furry companion. The problem, veterinarians explain, is that its incorrect use can lead to unwanted effects, from an allergy to intoxication . Drug abuse in dogs and cats without veterinary control also makes it easier for certain bacteria to “get used to” the antibiotic. In other words, by self-medicating your pet, you can render the medicine ineffective.