Brewer’s yeast is an entirely natural product recognized for its many therapeutic virtues. Composed of dehydrated microscopic mushrooms that are completely harmless to your cat, it is recommended to keep animals (and humans!) healthy. Discover the benefits it can have on your feline friend as well as the recommended dosage for them!
The benefits of brewer’s yeast
Rich in B vitamins, minerals and amino acids, brewer’s yeast benefits your cat on many levels. They:
- Strengthens their immune system, allowing them to fight against temporary infections, such as colds for example.
- Rebalances its intestinal flora, thus reducing stomach aches (diarrhoea, vomiting, irritation) and promoting digestion.
- Makes their coat shine, while limiting hair loss and helping to fight skin diseases.
- Helps fight flea infestation, when sprinkled directly on the coat. Be careful though to make sure that the cat does not ingest too much brewer’s yeast at once. Once sprinkled, leave to act for a few minutes then brush the animal.
- Improves the resistance of its claws.
- Helps reduce stress.
- Makes its food more palatable, and is thus regularly used for cats known to be picky eaters.
- Calms skin allergies, sources of terrible itching and often due to flea bites or allergenic materials (plastic, cement, nickel, etc.).
- Helps to fight against fatigue, by acting on the adrenal glands (on the kidneys).
The right dosage to respect
Although there is no risk of your cat overdosing on brewer’s yeast, it is still recommended to follow a specific dosage. Indeed, a good dosage helps to avoid possible bloating, diarrhea or gas. If you notice one or more of these symptoms, stop giving your cat brewer’s yeast.
If you choose to give your cat brewer’s yeast tablets, it is recommended that you give them one tablet daily for a month at each change of season. If it is a large cat, Maine Coon type, or a pregnant or lactating cat, it is advisable to double the dose and increase to two tablets per day. Indeed, brewer’s yeast promotes the production of milk. In addition, you can give it to your cat all year round. But brewer’s yeast is generally taken in the form of cures lasting several weeks.
If you prefer to sprinkle brewer’s yeast flakes directly on their food, the dosage should not exceed half a level teaspoon per day.