If you also give your Kitty vegetables from time to time, it might interest you to know if the cat can eat zucchini. Let’s find out together.
Anyone living with a pet knows that nutrition is one of the most important factors in a cat’s growth.
Felines are known to be curious and are often attracted to human delicacies, and this is the main concern for those who care for them.
This is why it is very important to be aware of what our four-legged friends can and cannot eat. Let’s see below if cats can eat zucchini.
Can cats eat zucchini?
As we all know, felines are obligate carnivores, that is, they need animal proteins.
However, this does not stop them from being curious every time we find ourselves in the kitchen preparing some lunch or snack. What would happen if cat stole pieces of zucchini? Can the cat eat them?
Don’t worry, zucchini is not harmful to our four-legged friend, even if their diet does not include the addition of vegetables, as their digestive system is not suitable for digesting enough vegetable proteins.
For this reason the quantities are very important, small quantities of zucchini do not create damage to your furry friend, on the contrary they can also be beneficial.
Benefits of zucchini for cats
Zucchini can be very healthy for your four-legged friend. In fact, they contain very important nutrients for the growth of felines. Most of these nutrients cannot assimilate them from meat. Here are the nutrients and benefits of zucchini for felines:
- Magnesium: necessary to regulate the intestinal function of the cat and is useful for reducing the risk of urinary problems in the cat. Furthermore, magnesium is useful for preventing hairballs;
- Manganese: useful for the development of bones and cartilage in kittens. While in adult cats manganese is useful for maintaining healthy bones and cartilage at all times;
- Potassium: useful for the function of muscles and nerves in the cat;
- Fibers: help digestion and bowel movements in cats;
- Antioxidants: useful for fighting free radicals and preventing cancer in cats.
Before giving any new food to your cat, including zucchini, it is necessary to consult with the veterinarian, who knows the medical situation of your furry friend.
How to give zucchini to the cat
Having established that our four-legged friend can eat zucchini, in moderation, how can we give them to cat?
In addition to buying commercial foods that can also contain this type of vegetable, you could offer the feline fresh courgette.
As with any other type of vegetable, it is advisable to wash the zucchini before offering them to your furry friend and to peel them to avoid the bitter taste.
Then cook the zucchini as much as possible and cut them into very small pieces and mix them with his daily food. It is necessary not to replace the daily diet of the cat with vegetables.