Like us humans, cats also sneeze when something irritates their nose, for example smoke, allergies, viruses. We will explain when you need to worry.
Smoking, bacteria, viruses or any type of allergy are the main reasons that lead the cat to sneeze. If the cat sneezes excessively, it could be a symptom of something wrong.
Be careful and notice any other symptoms in the cat besides the fact that he is sneezing excessively, as the addition of symptoms indicates that the cat has something serious.
In the event that the cat sneezes continuously for days, it is advisable to take him to the vet. This is especially important if cat sneezing is also associated with the following symptoms:
- Ulcers in the mouth
- Red eyes
- Watery eyes
- Nasal discharge
- Difficulty chewing
- Loss of appetite in the cat
- Noisy breathing
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling around the nose
- Weight loss
- Cough in the cat
- The cat drools
Causes of the cat sneezing
There are many reasons why the cat might sneeze, but as we have seen previously there are various symptoms that can help us understand that the cat is sneezing because it is suffering from some disease.
The main causes for which cats sneeze are:
- Respiratory infections: respiratory infections also lead to fever and cough in cats, the main infectious diseases are:
– Herpes virus
infections – Bacterial infections such as Mycoplasma
– Fungal infections
- Feline Immunodeficiency Virus ( FIV ): it is common in cats living outdoors, due to the virus the cat’s immune defenses are lowered and it can have other symptoms such as fever, loss of appetite, weight loss, infections etc.
- Allergy: any pathogen such as dust, mites, pollen, can make the cat sneeze and also cause a red nose.
- Dental disease: Dental disease can also cause sneezing, tooth infections in cats can allow bacteria to settle in the nasal nostrils resulting in inflammation and sneezing.
- Foreign bodies in the nose: It can happen that the cat has lint or dust in the nose that until they are expelled, the cat will continue to sneeze.
The cat sneezes: remedies
When the cat sneezes continuously for days as we have said, it is advisable to take him to the vet who, based on the diagnosis, will give a cure. Here are the solutions for the different cases: