The care of the Kurilian Bobtail is everything related to the beauty secrets of this breed, from hygiene to daily grooming.
Anyone who adopts an animal wants it to live as long as possible and in full health.
Therefore it is essential to deepen the topic concerning the hygiene and grooming of this breed.
This is because each breed has specific needs to be respected if you want a healthy and long-lived cat.
In today’s article we will deal with the care of the Kurilian Bobtail, from hygiene to grooming the coat.
Kurilian Bobtail care: how to care for the coat
The care of the Kurilian Bobtail does not require much attention except for the medium-longhaired variety, but today we will deal with the shorthaired one.
It is a smooth, silky soft coat with little undercoat. All traditional colors are allowed (black, red, tortoiseshell) and their diluted ones (blue, cream, blue tortie), solid or with tabby markings, with or without white patches, even in the silver and smoke varieties
As we mentioned, the short-haired Kurilian Bobtail does not require special care , in fact brushing once a week is sufficient.
As for the cat’s moult, the periodic change of the hair is very scarce but it is necessary to increase some brush strokes.
It will come in handy not only to remove the dead coat but also any fleas or other parasites.
This is a cat ‘s hygiene routine, which has a positive effect on its general health, improves blood circulation with a toning effect, stimulates the production of sebum, which consequently makes the coat waterproof.
Another aspect that should not be underestimated are the benefits of a correct diet that we can administer to the Kurilian Bobtail.
They have a direct impact on the appearance of the cat’s coat and consequently on overall health.
What is the ideal brush for the Kurilian Bobtail
To brush the Kurilian Bobtail it is necessary to have different accessories for the different grooming phases, such as:
- Wide-toothed comb : with well separated and blunt tips, which has the function of untying the knots in the coat;
- soft bristle brush : equipped with long, soft and dense bristles. It has the function of eliminating dust and any other thing stuck to the hair;
- carding glove : which thanks to the combination of plastic-coated teeth with rigid rings combines the absolute effectiveness of sanitizing brushing with the real pleasure of a relaxing massage.
Hygiene and cleanliness of the Kurilian Bobtail
Take care of your Kurilian Bobtail means also take care of the hygiene and animal welfare.
That’s why with the help of valid accessories and products, you can take care of the hygiene of your Kurilian Bobtail, in the following points :
- the cleaning of the cat’s eyes : it is of great help in the prevention of both annoying infections such as conjunctivitis and blepharitis in cats;
- the ears of the Kurilian Bobtail : check periodically to avoid the accumulation of secretions and not to develop infections and skin disorders;
- cleaning and cutting of the nails : shorten the nails of the cat or, better still, contact a specialist or a veterinarian;
- oral hygiene : clean the Kurilian Bobtail’s teeth constantly, using sanitizing creams for teeth or toothbrushes.
It is good to know that the Kurilian Bobtail belongs to those cat breeds that love water, so bathing them will not be difficult, but it is important to use products purely for cats.
However, it is not necessary to bathe so often but it may be enough once every 4 weeks.
In case of sudden dirt, for a quick cleaning of the cat’s fur and / or for a quick refreshing action, you can resort to the use of special sanitizing wipes.
Having a clean cat at home and stroking a clean and soft coat gives a much better feeling.