As we know there are many foods that our rabbits cannot eat. Do you know if rabbits can eat watermelon? In this post of Petlifey we will talk about the pros and cons of this fruit in feeding our little big eared.
Can rabbits eat watermelon?
Yes, rabbits can eat watermelon, but it is not the food they need the most. The basis of a rabbit’s diet should be hay. The fruit will be given rarely or even in the form of a prize.
Benefits of Watermelon for Rabbits
For humans, watermelon is an ideal summer fruit for its refreshing action and vitamin / mineral content, keeping us full of energy, but what about rabbits, does it have the same effect?
In general, rabbits can eat watermelon ; however, the intake of watermelon should be limited like the rest of the fruits to once or twice a week.
Including watermelon in the rabbit’s diet works in favor of providing them with good doses of vitamins A, C and B, as well as a considerable source of essential minerals, mainly potassium.
Tips for giving this fruit to your bunny
- Try to consume this food at night, since these are the hours when your rabbit is most active.
- Don’t feed watermelon every day. Variation in your rabbit’s diet is very important.
- If your rabbit has never eaten watermelon, give them a small amount and watch its stool for the next 24 hours. This food could cause diarrhea due to its large amount of water.
- It is important to understand that fruit can not be served at any time due to its high sugar content.
- Remove the seeds very well since they can cause obstruction in your body, leading to serious intestinal problems since in most cases, they are impossible to process.
Use the watermelon as a treat for your rabbit
The consumption of watermelon is restricted to 1 or 2 times a week. It can also be used in very small pieces as treats to reward the rabbit when it achieves an achievement, such as making its depositions in its corner or in the garden , as well as many other skills that you can teach it, yes, you will need a lot of patience to achieve it.
Can rabbits eat watermelon rind?
Yes, watermelon rinds make a great gift too. All parts of the watermelon are suitable for rabbits except for its pipes.
It is actually better to give your rabbit the rind of the watermelon than the fruit itself. The rind of a watermelon contains higher amounts of citrulline amino acids than the red part. It has more fibers and less sugar .
|Rabbit Behavior||Rabbit Food and Nutrition|
|Rabbit Training||Rabbit Grooming|
|Rabbit Health||Tips for Rabbit Owners|
|Rabbit Kittens||Rabbit Breeds|
|Travel with Rabbit|