Do you know what fruits and vegetables a rabbit can eat?. Rabbits are herbivorous animals so it will be essential to keep fruits and vegetables in their diet. It is essential to know in depth all the options that we can offer you, thus enriching your rabbit’s diet and discovering which foods he likes the most.
What fruits and vegetables can a rabbit eat?
There are vegetables that we can give our bunny daily and others that their consumption will be limited. Fruits, on the other hand, have too much sugar and we will limit their consumption to 1 or 2 times a week.
Vegetables for daily consumption
- Carrot leaves: We should not give the whole carrot because of its excessive sugar content, however, the leaves will enchant you.
- Radish leaves: As with carrots, radish contains a lot of sugar so it is advisable to offer only the leaves.
- Escarole: Excellent for the liver and will provide B vitamins and minerals to our rabbit.
- Watercress: This plant has a satiating and purifying effect, watercress is perfect for rabbits suffering from obesity.
- Arugula: It will provide sodium to our rabbit. It is also useful for eyesight and good blood regulation.
- Clover: Clover has various properties that can benefit our bunny, such as, for example, it helps in the digestive system, helps treat degenerative problems such as arthritis and is also useful for rabbits that may suffer from respiratory problems.
- Lettuce: Hydrates a lot; but we must bear in mind that not all varieties of lettuce are good for rabbits. For example, Iceberg lettuce is NOT good for rabbits as it can cause severe diarrhea.
Vegetables that should be eaten 1 or 2 times a week
Although these vegetables are not bad for your diet, we must restrict them to twice a week:
- Fresh bean sprouts
- Fennel leaves
- Red, green and yellow bell peppers
- Whole carrot
Fruits a rabbit can eat
As for fruits, you have to be very responsible, since in the long run the excesses can be harmful. You can give them some of them as a reward, but the amount should never be exceeded 1 or 2 times a week .
- Melon (the skin love them)
- Papaya (Helps them eliminate hairballs in the stomach )
- Watermelon (You can also give it the skin)
At what age can a bunny be fed vegetables and fruits?
From 8 weeks of age you can start giving your bunny fruits and vegetables. We will do it by giving a small amount to see how it suits you and little by little we will incorporate more vegetables and fruits to the diet. We will have to watch his stool. If a fruit or vegetable causes diarrhea, we should not give it more.