Turkish Van cat care: from grooming to hygiene. All the beauty tips for the coat of this unique cat breed.
In this article, we will talk about the care of the Turkish Van cat, a feline of Turkish origin, as can be understood from the name chosen for him.
Equipped with a powerful, massive, medium-large but elegant body. Covered with a semi-long coat that cannot be overlooked.
Let’s see how to take care of this wonderful breed of cat, not only to see its fur shine but also to take care of its hygiene.
If you have decided to adopt this Turkish cat breed, you are in the right article to know some tips for grooming and caring for your Turkish Van
Hair care of the Turkish Van cat
The Turkish Van is a semi-long-haired cat to which to give a fair amount of attention for the well-being of the animal.
The Turkish Van’s coat is free of undercoat, silky and soft. The main feature is the coloring that provides a lime white coat, with a colored tail and spots of color on the head.
In Turkey, tradition has it that the butterfly spots on the head are the footprints left by Allah’s thumb while stroking his forehead.
As for the length of the coat, it is semi-long and waterproof, but varies according to the season.
In the change of seasons and wetsuits, the Turkish Van’s coat needs to be brushed consistently even 2 times a day.
At other times of the year it can be combed even just once a week, becoming immediately bright and soft. It also hardly tends to knot.
To be able to brush it, it is important to use brushes suitable for its type of hair, or accessories such as:
- a wide-toothed comb: very delicate on the cat’s skin, thanks to the rounded teeth;
- a slanatore: useful for removing large quantities of residual hair, it will allow you to achieve the best results and no more annoying tangled furs;
- metal comb : equipped with round teeth so as not to scratch the animal’s skin, it helps to remove tangles of cat hair and dirt;
- double bristle brush : equipped with an additional soft bristle side that stimulates blood flow and makes the coat shiny, as well as easily removes dead hair from the coat and keeps it clean;
- feline gloves : they remove dead hair easily without injuring the skin or damaging the coat. They are equipped with 2 sides, with which it is possible not only to eliminate dead hair, but also to eliminate it from your furniture and sofas.
Let’s not forget that a great help for the health of the Turkish Van’s coat is due to nutrition.
Taking care of the Turkish Van cat does not only mean brushing it but offering it good nutrition, made of quality products (or fresh in the case of a home diet) as well as in the right quantities.
The question of quantity is fundamental in the case of this breed that eats to eat but has a tendency to accumulate weight.
Therefore, taking care of the Turkish Van cat also means thinking about its well-being, guaranteeing it a good lifestyle, balanced between good food and healthy movement.
Hygiene and cleanliness of the Turkish Van cat
In addition to ensuring the care of the Turkish Van cat’s fur, it will also be necessary to take care of its hygiene. Let’s see what it consists of.
The Turkish Van is a cat with few but good demands, even if it is not a sickly cat, but with a healthy and robust constitution, it needs some attention which we cannot escape from for its health.
The grooming we just talked about is not enough to have a beautiful and healthy cat at home. It is therefore necessary to take care of the hygiene of the animal’s body.
Establishing a routine related to his cleaning is beneficial for his health as well as making the master’s job less tiring.
We know how much the cat cares about its hygiene, considering the time it spends licking and cleaning itself with its extraordinary tongue.
However, there are some places where the animal cannot reach and needs the help of its human friend. Specifically, it will be necessary to intervene in the cleaning of:
- teeth: every two to three weeks, with a toothbrush and toothpaste for cats sold in specialized pet stores;
- eyes: the eyes should be cleaned with a damp cloth or wipe, to avoid infections such as conjunctivitis in cats;
- ears: the ears must be cleaned in a delicate way to remove the ear wax that accumulates due to the shape of the ears. Cleaning can be done with cotton swabs, gauze or a simple napkin, being careful not to damage them;
- nails: the nails of the cat must be cut, in order to prevent the cat from hurting himself and others.
Occasionally it is possible to bathe it using a special shampoo for washing cats, diluted with water and passed all over the body. To dry it, just a towel dabbed on the hair will suffice.
Keep in mind that the Turkish Van is one of those cat breeds that love to stay in the water and swim, so it will not escape the bath nor will it try to escape, indeed it will be a real pleasure to take it to the sea in the summer.