Cleaning your dog’s teeth is a job that not all dog owners do properly and regularly. Let’s see what are the tips and products useful in this circumstance.
Knowing how to clean your dog’s teeth is an important step in looking after a man’s best friend. If neglected, this daily hygiene can lead to bad breath and oral cavity disorders. Furthermore, the vast majority of adult dogs have problems and pathologies related to insufficient oral hygiene.
Important premise: it is not possible to use the toothpastes we use , as they contain substances that can also be toxic to our dogs, as well as being absolutely unpleasant to our four-legged friends. So, absolutely no to our toothpastes, use those specifically indicated for dogs.
How to clean your dog’s teeth? All systems
Special toothpaste and toothbrush
On the market you will find special toothpastes , also with a meat flavor, like the one you see below, containing enzymes that favor proper oral hygiene of the dog.
It is a toothpaste to be used strictly with a soft bristle toothbrush , also especially for dogs, after spreading the paste on the teeth of our trusty.
The fluoride bone
The other item that you always find in pet shops and also in supermarkets is the classic fluoride “bone”, which has a positive action to strengthen the muscles, allow the dog to play and represent a useful complement (without replacing it) of hygiene. mouth of the dog.
An example of a product is this:
However, not everyone knows that there are entirely natural and low-cost systems that allow you to clean your dog’s teeth in a simple and effective way.
How to clean your dog’s teeth: the do-it-yourself recipes
So here are some ideas to take care of the oral hygiene of our faithful friend with two recipes for do-it-yourself toothpaste based on natural substances , and a recipe for making homemade biscuits that satiate the gluttony and lighten the breath …
A cleaning paste
- This is the first recipe. You start by mixing a heaped spoonful of baking soda with water in order to obtain a paste with a consistency similar to toothpaste.
- Next, add a few drops of coconut oil and mix well. To make pasta more pleasant for the dog, you can also add a few drops of beef broth and mix. The consistency of the mixture must be checked, if too liquid a little more bicarbonate is added.
- In this way, the bicarbonate, which in itself would be very unwelcome to our dog, will be able to carry out its sanitizing action without being indigestible.
- It is transferred to a container and, if the toothpaste contains the beef broth, it must be kept in the refrigerator, otherwise it is sufficient to store it in a cool and dry place where it will keep for up to three weeks.
DIY Dog Toothpaste Recipe
- Here is the other recipe now. In a cup mix 6 tablespoons of baking soda, 1/3 tablespoon of salt and 4 tablespoons of glycerin, mix, add a small amount of beef or chicken broth and mix again.
- The toothpaste is applied every two days, proceeding step by step.
- How to clean your dog’s teeth with this preparation? It is advisable, for the first few times, to distribute it on the dog’s teeth with your fingers , then, in the following days, using a toothbrush.