Chondroprotectors are significantly improving the quality of life of dogs with joint problems
Nowadays on the market we can find a wide range of supplements for the joints of dogs . These products are based on various molecules of chemical or natural origin, such as collagen, glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate and hyaluronic acid, among others.
In recent years, these food supplements have evolved and improved, which is why they are often prescribed by veterinarians to treat a variety of conditions. In this article, we will talk about the best supplements for dogs’ joints.
Common problems in the joints of dogs
One of the many reasons why you take a dog to the vet is the appearance of joint diseases. Owners usually notice these problems in their dogs following lameness and sometimes acute pain .
Joint problems in a dog can occur for a multitude of causes, such as:
- The breed : Some dog breeds, such as the German Shepherd, are more likely to suffer from hip dysplasia . Conversely, breeds such as the Golden Retriever, Rottweiler or Doberman tend to suffer from shoulder or elbow dysplasia due to their large size and rapid growth.
- Advanced age : like other mammals, including humans, when dogs reach old age, pathologies related to this phase of life occur. Let’s talk about canine degenerative joint disease.
- Growth Disorders : A dog’s growth period represents a delicate moment, as it happens for other species. Dietary deficiencies, hormonal disorders or race can cause various joint damage.
- Fractures affecting a joint.
- Rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament . As a result of overexertion, too much physical activity, or being a small breed, the anterior cruciate ligament can rupture. This condition causes serious joint problems.
- Obesity : In addition to greatly reducing the quality of life of our pets, obesity causes, among other things, an overload of the joints. Serious problems ensue.
- Osteoarthritis .
In these cases, dog joint supplements can be of great help in calming joint disorders that can affect our animals.
What are dog joint supplements or chondroprotectors?
Chondroprotectors are substances that help treat certain diseases affecting the joints. These ailments are often accompanied by an inflammatory process of the joint and pain .
Dog joint supplements promote effective nourishment of the joint cartilage and improve the consistency of the synovial fluid. They are mainly composed of hydrolyzed collagen and glucosamine sulfate. Others are based on chondroitin sulfate.
List of the best supplements for dogs’ joints
The research and development of new supplements for the joints of dogs in recent years have allowed a notable improvement of these products. At the present time, they are very useful in order to prevent osteoarticular degeneration processes and joint injuries in case of hereditary predisposition, joint overload, accidents, etc.
These products can be classified according to their basic compounds, as they all have the same purpose:
- Supplements based on hyaluronic acid, hydrolyzed collagen, crystallized glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate and gamma oryzanol . Supplements with this composition appear to be the best because they act at all levels in the joints, hyaline cartilage , ligaments, tendons and synovial fluid.
- Supplements that combine glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. They are the most basic in the world of chondroprotectors, but their properties are scientifically proven.
- Supplements based on chondroitin sulphate and vitamin E. Indicated for the post-surgical period which requires joint immobility.
- Supplements based on chelated minerals (Cu, Mn, Se, Zn), biological calcium and eggshell substance. More than anything else, these are food supplements that promote bone regeneration.
Natural alternative to chemical supplements
There is an alternative to chemical supplements, which is widely used with animals that do not have a genetic predisposition to suffer from these disorders and that are healthy. This alternative is present in the life of those dogs who follow a diet based on natural foods, such as the BARF diet .
This recipe is known as golden turmeric paste. Its ingredients are:
- 60 grams of turmeric
- 250 milliliters of water
- 70 milliliters of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of ground pepper.
In a saucepan, the water and turmeric must be kept on the fire for seven minutes. Then, add the oil and pepper and let it cool. We can keep it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Giant breeds of dogs can take a teaspoon of this paste per day. Those of small size, on the other hand, only have to ingest a quarter.
|Dog Behavior||Dog Food and Nutrition|
|Dog Training||Dog Grooming|
|Dog Health||Tips for Dog Owners|
|Dog Adoption||Travel with Dogs|