The care of the Ragdoll cat and everything related to the hygiene and daily grooming of this breed, up to the bath.
The the Ragdoll is a medium sized cat from the large semi-long hair, which is why it will be necessary to give much attention to the coat to so that I can live in health.
A nice, well-groomed feline coat attracts everyone’s attention and is a source of pride for the cat and also for its owner.
The care of the Ragdoll cat involves a rather important commitment, that is daily and constant.
Ragdoll cat fur care
The Ragdoll is a cat with a voluminous coat and this turns out to be its strong point. Let’s see how it is possible to take care of it.
Ragdoll is available in six different colors: seal, chocolate and red and the corresponding “diluted”: blue, lilac and cream. This also includes the lynx and tortie variations in all colors and three designs.
Kittens of this breed are born white and complete coat coloring at 3-4 years of age. The three different designs are: Colorpoint, Mitted and Bicolor.
As we mentioned, the care of the Ragdoll’s hair is quite demanding, it is advisable to brush daily, in order to avoid the formation of knots that are difficult to untie.
They could also irritate the skin of the animal, developing forms of dermatitis in the cat.
The ideal would be to brush it several times a day, using special brushes that we will see in the next paragraph.
The ideal brush for the long coat of the Ragdoll
To brush the Ragdoll cat you need different accessories, each one to be used for each grooming phase, such as:
- The comb: to eliminate possible knots;
- stiff bristle brush : with the tip protected by small dots. Useful for brushing the long hair of the cat but without causing damage to the skin of the animal;
- soft bristle brush : made with long, soft and dense bristles. Useful to eliminate dust and anything else stuck to the hair.
We do not underestimate the importance of nutrition which contributes a lot to determining the beauty of the Ragdoll’s coat.
Generally the feeds that are used have a high intake of vitamins useful for avoiding hair loss, as well as making it shiny.
A valid alternative is to feed fish as it is rich in omega 3 fatty acids which give the coat strength and shine.
If you want to know more about Ragdoll cat nutrition, in this article you will find a complete in-depth study.
Hygiene and cleanliness of the Ragdoll cat
Very often for these semi-long-haired cats it is not enough just to brush them but it is also necessary to give them a bath, obviously not frequently but only when it is excessively dirty.
Considering that the Ragdoll is a rather lazy cat, it will be difficult to find it dirty with mud but in any case after a long time it is advisable to wash it.
Just use special products for cats and never use soap or shampoo for human use, as it could irritate the cat’s skin and cause dermatitis.
There are suitable products on the market that are specific to the hygiene of our pets.
As for drying, since the Ragdoll is a semi-long-haired cat, it must be dried thoroughly, dabbing the fur with towels and eventually finishing the drying with a hair dryer for ultra-quiet pets.
To avoid bathing the cat there are valid alternatives, such as:
- dry foam shampoo: it is a product that does not require water, it is distributed on dry hair and then removed with a cloth and brushed;
- wipes: a great alternative to clean any part of the cat’s body.
Let’s not forget that even if the cat is an expert in cleaning the body, it needs its owner to get to clean some delicate and distant points for its tongue.
Here’s why it’s up to you to clean up:
- the cat’s ears : they must be checked periodically to avoid the accumulation of secretions and not to develop infections and skin disorders;
- cleaning and cutting of the nails: there are specific tools to shorten the nails of the cat or better still by contacting a specialist or the veterinarian.
- teeth and mouth: using sanitizing creams for teeth or brushes for cats, products easily available in pet stores.