Lykoi Care: From Grooming, To Hygiene. All beauty tips for the well-being of this breed of cat with a very particular coat.
Although the Lykoi is a cat with a slender build, it turns out to be quite resilient in terms of health.
It is a medium-sized cat that can reach a maximum of 7 kg but what distinguishes it is the hair that covers its body or rather, it should cover.
In this article we will find out how to take care of the Lykoi starting from grooming up to the hygiene of his body, passing through the bath.
Will the Lykoi like being in contact with water? Let’s find out together in the next paragraphs.
Lykoi coat care
The Lykoi is a short-haired cat and this can give the impression that it may be an undemanding animal in its management but let’s not underestimate this.
The Lykoi is a cat of American origins that was born from a natural mutation of the domestic short-haired cat. The cats originally used for breeding came from a rescue center.
Even today, most of the cats used in the breeding program come from stray litters which produce shorthaired Lykoi in any case.
Precisely because it is a short-haired cat, taking care of its coat is not a big commitment.
Except for the moulting periods, that is to say in autumn and spring, where more attention is needed, it is recommended to brush the cat every day, to remove the dead coat.
While in normal times of the year, two brush alone can suffice for and vitare the formation of knots and the problem of cat hairballs.
Boluses, which the animal could pick up with its tongue and compromise its health, causing intestinal obstructions, which are quite dangerous.
Obviously, remember that every type of hair needs the right brush, regarding the Lykoi this short-haired breed the following accessories are needed :
- Cat Glove : A five-finger design brush can quickly and gently remove hair and modify hard-to-reach spots. At the same time, it can fully massage the pet’s skin and promote blood circulation;
- wide-toothed comb : chromed metal teeth, very gentle on the cat’s skin, thanks to the rounded teeth;
- brush with short and soft bristles : this type of brush is ideal for short-haired cats, it does not cause any pain or discomfort as it does not touch the skin. It has stainless steel teeth that are designed to penetrate the fur preventing it from tangling and tangling, particularly during the cat’s moulting period. Before its use it will only be necessary to make sure that there are no cuts or sores on its body, as the animal could injure the cat. Compared to the classic metal brushes, the annoyance of “pricking” is avoided and the metal bristles can be pushed out or back. This feature is handy when you have to remove the collected hair. Just press the button on the back to pull in the bristles and clean it from the hairs stuck with a lot of practicality.
Hygiene and cleanliness of the Lykoi
In addition to having to brush the coat of the Lykoi, it is necessary to offer this cat adequate hygiene. Let’s see what it consists of, the cleanliness and hygiene of the Lykoi.
Although autonomous, the cat cannot reach some points of its body and in these cases it is necessary for its owner to intervene.
These are specific areas that the animal cannot cover with its tongue alone. For this reason, his human friend will have to provide:
- clean the teeth : brush the cat’s teeth every two or three weeks, with a special toothbrush sold in specialized stores;
- clean the ears : in such a way as to be able to remove the ear wax that accumulates and can generate problems. Cotton swabs, gauze or a simple napkin can be used, being careful not to damage them;
- cut the cat’s nails : with due attention and with the use of specific scissors. This is a complicated operation that the cat does not like. Experts advise not to carry out the operation at home alone but to consult a grooming professional.
As for the baby bath, it is not necessary to wash it, unless it gets heavily dirty.
It will be possible to use specific products for cleaning the cat but dry, alternatively wet wipes for cats can be useful.