Not all food from the human table is not suitable for pets. Store bought sausages are harmful to dogs and are strictly prohibited for them.
What is store bought sausages made of
Store bought sausages can contain :
- mixture of meats like ham, bacon, pork
- starch – in cheap sausage, as shown by quality checks, it is always present, in an expensive sausage made in accordance with GOST, you can also find traces of it, although they should not be there;
- food additives – colorant and thickener.
The appearance and smell of sausages can be appetizing to the dog. But its additives can harm the dog. And all the more, nitrogen and carbon dioxide are not useful, which is pumped into the packaging film for additional preservation, to prevent the reproduction of microorganisms.
Why are sausages harmful to dogs?
And now, in order – what can happen if you feed your pet with sausages.
The lack of meat or its poor-quality composition is in itself a big minus, since food should be of benefit to the dog, if there is no meat, there is no complete nutritious protein, the main “building material” for body cells, and there are no carbohydrates – a source of energy. At the exit – food, the purpose of which is to clog the stomach of the animal.
Sausage contains salt and spices – the main enemy of a pet’s health. Salt contains chlorine and sodium necessary for the body, which maintain water and acid-base balance, and participate in the work of the nervous system. With a deficiency of these substances in animals, muscle disorders, weakness, and fatigue can be observed. Puppies have growth and developmental delays.
However, the body of the animal requires such microscopic doses of these and other minerals that it is simply impossible to measure them. If the diet of the dog is compiled correctly, it receives both sodium and chlorine, and all the necessary substances from other sources – meat, fish, vegetables and cereals.
Additional additives are not required, as there is a risk of exceeding the permissible doses, which will cause:
- bowel disorder;
- chronic kidney and bladder diseases.
Other spices are added to the sausage – hot peppers and paprika, onions, garlic, nutmeg. All of them are also dangerous to animals:
- hot peppers contain capsaicin, which in dogs irritates the skin, mucous membranes and eyes, the walls of the stomach and intestines, impairs the functioning of the gallbladder and liver, and the organs of the urinary system. Pepper can provoke the development of gastrointestinal diseases – gastritis, ulcers and even cancer;
- paprika also irritates the esophagus and stomach, skin and eyes, can cause diarrhea;
- garlic and onions contain thiosulfate, which is toxic to animals. It can cause anemia. Such spices can cause poisoning, and its symptoms – vomiting, diarrhea – can appear only after a few days, which does not give the owner the opportunity to associate them with the use of sausages and other dishes containing onions or garlic;
- nutmeg is another sausage additive that is a real poison for a dog. The substances present in nutmeg affect the central nervous system of the animal. 2 grams is considered hazardous to humans, and a much smaller amount can be fatal for a dog.
Sausages contain spices and preservatives that can harm the health of Dogs.
Homemade sausage Recipe for your dog:
A homemade sausage is much healthier for your dog.
For homemade sausages, you will need to buy meat, intestines and eggs. Meat can be cut and trimmed with veins, tendons and cartilage. Store-bought intestines are usually sprinkled with salt, so they will need to be soaked in water first. And those that are purchased on the market from farmers should be rinsed well with water.
The meat must be scrolled through a meat grinder. It is not necessary to chop very finely, since such minced meat is poorly absorbed by dogs. Add the egg, stir without adding any spices, then fill the intestine with this composition. Tie it on both sides and cook for 20-30 minutes, dipping the intestine into boiling water. When the sausage has cooled down, you can treat your pet to it. Just don’t give it more than once a week.
Some meat producers make special sausages for dogs. It includes not only various types of meat, as well as offal (liver and lungs), but also fish. There are even meat and fish sausages. As other components, manufacturers use vegetables, cereals – rice, wheat, barley, vitamin and mineral supplements. Such a product will not harm the animal, however, it has some limitations: the age of puppies is up to 5 months, renal and hepatic pathologies, diabetes mellitus.
Can dogs eat sausage mince?
No, do not feed your dog sausage mince.
Can dogs eat breakfast Sausage?
No, do not give breakfast sausage to your dog. The store bought sausages have many more ingredients and spices that can be harmful to dogs.
Can dogs eat turkey sausage?
Do not give store bought turkey sausage to dogs. Though turkey is good for dogs, store bought sausages have many more ingredients and spices that can be harmful to dogs. Although, you can make homemade turkey sausages for your dog where you can control the ingredients.
Can dogs eat sausage rolls?
No, do not give sausage rolls to your dog. The store bought sausages have many more ingredients and spices that can be harmful to dogs.
What to do if your dog ate sausage?
If your dog ate sausage, put him under close observation for the next 24 hours. There there are any symptoms for sickness, immediately take him to a vet.
The desire to pamper your pet with goodies is commendable, but food from the human table is not suitable for this. Sausage, should not be used for feeding dogs; they can cause health-threatening and sometimes even life-threatening consequences for the animal. Manufacturers offer other, safe, meat-based treats that are much healthier.
|Dog Behavior||Dog Food and Nutrition|
|Dog Training||Dog Grooming|
|Dog Health||Tips for Dog Owners|
|Dog Adoption||Travel with Dogs|