Animals, like humans, need food that contains all the necessary nutrients – proteins, carbohydrates and fats, as well as vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Therefore, the desire of the owners who have chosen to feed their pets with natural food is understandable to diversify their diet. You can’t feed pets only meat, but can a dog be given pasta, potatoes, bread? It turns out, yes, but is it necessary?
What are the benefits of Pasta for dogs:
Pasta is made from just three ingredients – wheat flour, water and eggs. It would seem, could such a product be harmful? Indeed, they contain a lot of useful substances in addition to being a source of energy. Carbohydrates provide the body with a supply of energy for a long period. In addition to carbohydrates, pasta contains:
- fiber is a substance that has recently been called the fourth nutrient along with proteins, fats and carbohydrates. It is necessary for a living organism to improve digestion. Fiber helps to remove toxins and heavy metal salts from the body;
- vitamins – groups B, E, PP. B vitamins are involved in almost all processes that occur in the dog’s body. They are vital for the development and maintenance of the nervous and muscular systems, with a lack of vitamins of this group in the body, animals lose weight, their physical activity decreases, swelling of the extremities, convulsions are possible. Vitamin E stimulates the growth of muscle mass, therefore, it is necessary to ensure its supply to the body of animals during the growth period;
- minerals, including iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium.
Although animal protein should make up most of the diet of pets, it is better absorbed by the body, the vegetable protein that is part of flour products – pasta – is also useful. The fat in the product contains a very small amount, so the vermicelli will definitely not bring harm to the body. However, it is also impossible to make it the main food of the dog – because the animal’s digestive system is not adapted to digest large amounts of carbohydrate foods.
Someone will say: “All my life I feed the dog with pasta, and nothing.” That’s right – nothing. There is no benefit or harm from pasta for the dog, just filling the stomach. Although harm can be:
- many pets have an allergic reaction to wheat, which is why it is never added to high-quality industrial feed;
- the animal’s body does not receive enough nutrients necessary for the proper functioning of its systems. The stomach is full, but there is no benefit from such food, hence the possibility of the development of various diseases.
Note: Pasta can be given to a dog, but their amount in the diet should be minimal.
Can Dogs eat Pasta everyday?
Eating Pasta everyday is not recommended for dogs. Excessive intake of pasta in the dog’s body can lead to the development of obesity, diabetes, pancreatitis, upset digestion, bloating, gas formation – these are the very first signs that show up. This means the pet’s health needs to be treated more attentively and urgently revise its diet.
It is believed that a dog’s menu should be 70% meat and other animal food, and 30% vegetable, but this includes vegetables and fruits, which contain much more vitamins and minerals, other nutrients than “empty” pasta.
What kind of pasta can you give to Dogs:
To add variety your dog’s diet, you can add pasta to the menu -but in limited quantities and following important rules. The dog needs to eat only pasta made from durum flour. They can be distinguished by their yellowish color and characteristic “glassy” look. When boiled do not stick together.
There are also special “dog” pastas available in the market. These are whole grain product containing wholemeal flour and a minimum of starch. Such products provide up to ¼ of the daily need for fiber, which helps to normalize digestion, prevents the development of constipation in the dog. They have a low glycemic index, so they are not prohibited, and even useful for dogs prone to obesity and patients with diabetes mellitus. However, you can give them to your pet only after consulting a veterinarian.
Small quantities of pasta can be mixed with cereals, meat dishes, while choosing high-quality products from durum wheat. Such products contain less starch and more B vitamins. But their use should also be limited – no more than once or twice a week. In no case should a dry product be given. Instant, as well as rice noodles are also strictly prohibited. They can swell in the dog’s stomach, turn into a sticky paste and clog the digestive tract. The dog will develop constipation.
It is recommended that you cannot give dogs the food from your table. This is because it contains salt, sauces, spices. This kinds to spicy pasta may be tasty only for humans, but for a dog it is dangerous food.
How to cook and Prepare Pasta for Dogs:
Pasta recipe for Dogs:
- Bring water to boil.
- Put half spoon oil. This will prevent pasta from sticking
- Ass Pasta to boiling water. Any kind of durum wheat pasta is ok – penne , fusilli, spaghettis ….
- Let the pasta cook. For Dogs, the Pasta is done when it is slightly firm. Do not cook it very soft.
- Important: Do not add salt to the pasta when cooking
NOTE: Do not feed the dogs raw Pasta.
Effects of feeding Pasta to Dogs:
In addition to the fact that a large amount of carbohydrate foods in the diet can lead to digestive problems, pasta causes an allergic reaction in many animals. Therefore, for the first time to introduce the dog to a new dish, you should be extremely careful – give a small amount of noodles and observe if there is a reaction of the body to the product.
Are Dogs allergic to Pasta?
Pasta contains starch. Some dogs can be allergic to Pasta.
An allergy to Pasta and starchy foods can manifest with the following symptoms in the dog:
- itching of the skin – sometimes so severe that the dog scratches the body until it bleeds;
- hair loss;
- lacrimation and discharge from the nose, ears;
- wetting the armpits;
- swelling of the limbs and muzzle;
- unpleasant odor from the mouth.
With such manifestations, the pet should be shown to a specialist who will clarify which allergen caused the hypersensitivity reaction and prescribe treatment. If the dog is allergic to pasta, other wheat flour products should be excluded from the diet.
Can puppies be given Pasta
As for puppies, veterinarians do not categorically ban feeding pasta to puppies, but they recommend giving them in small quantities and no more than once a week. It is also important not to forget that such food will not bring any benefit to the growing body, so you should not consider it an obligatory component of the diet. It is better to increase the amount of healthy grains and vegetables in the menu, which will provide the animal’s body with the necessary substances.
How frequently can you give Pasta to a Dog:
It is recommended to give Pasta to a dog only once or twice a week. Also keep the quantity low – about 50 grams for small dogs, 100 grams for medium dogs and 200 grams for large dogs.
Is it harmful to give Pasta to Pregnant Dogs
The diet of a female Dog expecting offspring should be treated especially carefully, trying to provide her body with the necessary amount of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. The daily diet of a pregnant and lactating female dog should contain proteins – preferably animals, and vegetable proteins can be present, but in minimal quantities.
The necessary element is calcium, it will ensure the correct development of the skeleton of puppies, strengthen bones and maintain the condition of the mother’s body. Usually, calcium in food is not enough, therefore, in addition, pregnant females dogs are given vitamin-mineral complexes containing this microelement.
Feeding pasta to a pregnant dog will not harm it in any particular way. But make sure to not give it in excessive quantities. Also, make sure that the dog is not allergic to Pasta.
Whether to feed the dog with pasta – each owner decides for himself. It is important to remember that this is not a prohibited, but also not a healthy dish in the diet of pets, even when it comes to whole grain flour products.
Can dogs eat raw Pasta:
It is recommended not not give raw Pasta to dogs. Boil the pasta and give it to dogs.
Can dogs eat Pasta Sauce:
No. It is not recommended to give Pasta Sauce to Dogs.