The care of the Bengal Longhair cat and everything related to the hygiene and daily grooming of this breed, up to the bath.
A beautiful, neat and shiny feline coat is a matter of pride for both the cat and the owner, as it attracts attention and is soft to the touch.
The cat takes care of it as if it were his most precious jewel and the owner as if it were his most precious painting.
The care of the Bengal Longhair cat involves a dedication like the one just described, since it is a cat with a long and particular coat.
Hair care of the Bengal Longhair cat
The Bengal Longhair is a cat and like all other cats, it is a very clean animal, in fact it spends most of the day licking and grooming itself.
The care of the Bengal Longhair’s coat is quite demanding, it is advisable to brush this long-haired cat daily, in order to avoid the formation of knots.
It would be preferable to brush it even several times a day, using special brushes.
Because once the knots have formed, it is difficult to untie them and could irritate the animal’s skin, developing forms of dermatitis in the cat.
Furthermore, to try to untangle the knots, the cat could bite and scratch in order not to be touched.
In some cases it is worth considering the hypothesis of having it clipped by an expert groomer.
Without forgetting that nutrition also contributes a lot to determining the beauty of the Bengal Longhair cat ‘s coat.
In general, feeds with a high intake of vitamins are used to avoid cat hair loss .
A valid alternative is fish which also contains omega 3 fatty acids which are very healthy as well as giving the coat strength and shine.
If you want to know more about feeding the Bengal Longhair cat, in this article you will find a complete in-depth study.
The ideal brush for the long hair of the Bengal Longhair
For the brushing of the Bengal Longhair cat you need different accessories for each phase of grooming, of the longhair cat, such as:
- The comb: To eliminate possible knots;
- Stiff bristle brush : With the tip protected by small dots. Useful for brushing the long hair of the cat but without causing damage to the skin of the animal;
- Soft bristle brush : Made with long, soft and dense bristles. Useful to eliminate dust and anything else stuck to the hair.
Hygiene and cleanliness of the Bengal Longhair cat
For long-haired cats like the Bengal Longhair, daily brushing is not enough. If you want to see his fantastic coat sparkle, you must also dedicate yourself to his total well-being.
First of all, it should be known that the Bengal Longhair bath should be done approximately every 4-6 weeks.
Before bathing, brush and comb your cat thoroughly to remove knots and excess hair, as explained in the previous paragraph.
Never use soap or shampoo for human use, as it could irritate the cat’s skin and cause dermatitis.
There are excellent products on the market that are specific for the hygiene of our pets.
Let’s not forget that the long hair of the Bengal Longhair must absolutely be dried thoroughly, dabbing the fur with towels and eventually finishing the drying with a hair dryer for ultra-quiet pets.
The alternatives to avoid bathing the cat earlier than expected are some products, such as:
- Wipes : It is not always the case to put the cat in the tub, there are some circumstances in which it is possible to use special wipes for animals. An excellent alternative to clean any part of the cat’s body;
- Dry foam shampoo: Itis a product that does not require water, it is distributed on dry hair and then removed with a cloth and brushed.
A separate discussion must be made for cleaning the ears, nails and oral hygiene, where the cat cannot do without the help of his human friend.
Therefore it will be necessary to have a lot of patience to clean:
- the cat’s ears: They must be checked periodically to avoid the accumulation of secretions and not to develop infections and skin disorders;
- Cleaning and cutting of the nails: There are specific tools to shorten the nails to the cat or better still by contacting a specialist or the veterinarian.
- Oral hygiene: Using sanitizing creams for teeth or brushes for cats, products easily available in pet shops.