If your dog has recently undergone surgery, in addition to all your affection and care he will also need some special attention. In today’s article we will illustrate the secrets to make your dogs live the post-operative recovery phase to the fullest, the duration of which may vary depending on the severity of the operation and the physical conditions of your pet.
First steps for the recovery of the animal
When the fright for the surgery has passed and your four-legged friend has received the green light to go home , pay attention to the instructions and recommendations of the veterinarian, so that your pet’s recovery takes place in the best possible way. If you have any doubt, do not hesitate to express it to the vet, even when it seems to be repetitive or exaggerated. The surgeon will be able to give you precise information regarding:
- The right nutrition
- Medicines necessary for its recovery
- Difference between alarm symptoms and normal signs after an operation
- When to take your puppy for a medical examination
Also keep in mind that sometimes the effects of anesthesia can take some time to disappear. So do not be frightened if at first your little friend appears a bit dazed and has some difficulty in finding the balance.
When our pet has to undergo surgery, whether it is a more or less complex operation, it is normal to wonder how we can help. Today we will give you some tips to optimize your dog’s post-operative recovery phase.
Dog recovery secrets after surgery
After the first few hours following the operation, the dog’s recovery will take place gradually and, if no complications occur, it will slowly resume its usual activities.
Among the things to keep in mind for total dog recovery, consider the following:
- Tidy up and arrange the spaces in which he usually rests, so that he can feel comfortable and comfortable during his convalescence.
- Take all necessary hygiene measures and keep its spaces well ventilated.
- If you have children , explain to them well the situation your dog is going through , so that they understand that for some time he will not be the usual playmate.
- Do not force the animal to take long walks. Take him out of the house only to make him do his business and always using the leash, to avoid any unexpected events.
- Check that he does not stop eating and drinking and that he does his business regularly.
- Do not forget to administer all the medicines indicated by the veterinarian, respecting the doses and times determined.
- Check carefully the evolution of the wound.
Other aspects to be taken into account for the care of post-operative wounds
For the recovery of the animal, it is essential that it does not bite or scratch in the wound area that is still in full healing phase. In some cases it may be advisable to put an Elizabethan collar on your dog . If you have other pets in the house, make sure they do not lick or play roughly with the convalescent.
Also, see your vet urgently if you notice that the incision area is hot or has:
- Bad smell
- Generates pain in the animal.
Alternatives for rehabilitation in case of complex operations
In case of complex surgical operations for which the animal has lost a lot of muscle mass, it will be advisable to resort to physiotherapy sessions or other rehabilitation techniques to obtain a rapid and better recovery. Your vet will be able to advise you on the best options.
Techniques such as hydrotherapy, use of lasers, ultrasounds etc., are adopted to obtain the following results:
- Pain mitigation .
- Decreased inflammation.
- Reduction of atrophy of muscles, tendons, cartilages or ligaments.
In any case, beyond the necessary treatments and care, do not forget that even the love expressed with words and caresses and your constant presence are fundamental elements to help your little friend to overcome a surgical operation with ease.